Saturday, December 6, 2008

Hitchin’ A Ride

Image037

One day when i was on my way to Tropicana Mall site, this grasshopper leaped out of nowhere and crashed on to the windscreen and held on to my wiper for a ride. Despite my skillful reckless driving, this little bugger held on as if he was enjoying the thrill. And amazingly after my 2 hr long meeting, it was still clinging on at the same spot, and hitched a ride back home as well.

I’m pretty dodgy at metaphors, but the scene pretty much summed up my year ; it has been a roller coaster ride. I’ve definitely had my ups and downs this year, the ups being that i’ve learned so much, and the people in the team definitely helped make the experience so much more pleasant and enjoyable. But sometimes i feel so helpless at my desk, trying my best to look busy where in actual fact i don’t really have anything to do.

Looking back at when i first started my first task was do a 3d design using a program that wasn’t meant to do 3d. And it took me around 2 months to find out about this. And here i was feeling so stupid that i couldnt cook up a design quick enough to provide that extra hand. Then i was asked to do a month of site defects inspections at Suasana Sentral, which was basically a kuli job that could be given to any Tom, Dick and Harry. I tried to convince myself that i am actually learning something from it all, but i honestly think it was quite minimal. However i am quite grateful that these sessions helped me bond with the people who turned out to be my good friends now in the office. In between these inspections i was told to do some minor design works, for projects that never happened.

Now, after 10 months, I am proudly one of the few people who have mastered the 3d program used in my office. I have been counted on to create 3d models for actual projects and i have been asked to the teach my skills to both my juniors and peers alike. At last i am starting to feel that i am contributing something to the team, which is my primary goal during my short stay. My experience during the site inspections also allowed me to be given the opportunity to chair defects meetings, which was a scary experience at first (when everyone in the room is at least ten years older) but i discovered a lot about the industry. Recently, I also have been working very closely with an architect on a design proposal in Nusajaya which really helped me learn the process of design in real life and how certain decisions are made and why. And to add icing to the cake, our design proposal was accepted and we got the job!

So for the record let me express my greatest gratitude to these people: TJ, Jessie, Wei Liang, Francis, Lai, Ying Ying, Steven, Dona, Wai Ying, Chee Foong, Kent, Ahana, Alvin, Lau, Siang Run, Ling Sin, Ayu, Nurha, Nora, Kak Suzi, & Kak Yati. One day i would like to look back at this post to remember all your names and faces as the people who have had a hand in creating the architect in me.

Picture 162

TJ TEAM 2008

comments:

=) i'm glad ur experience has been a fruitful one! looking forward to seeing you next year!